Please vote Michael Ong for IEEE Region 10 Director-Elect, 2023-2024
Members can access their ballot on the IEEE Annual Election website by clicking the orange "Access Ballot" button
and using their IEEE Account to authenticate ballot access.
LING CHUEN “MICHAEL” ONG
(Nominated by IEEE Region 10)
Michael Ong received the PhD degree from the University of Birmingham, UK in 1996 on a Science and Engineering Research Council (UK) grant and Institute of Electrical Engineers postgraduate scholarship. He was with Singapore Telecom as project manager for Singapore’s first digital trunked radio system. From 1999 to 2020, he was a senior scientist and manager for the Smart Nation Programme at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research where he was also principal investigator for more than 10 national funded projects.
He was also an adjunct Associate Professor with the National University of Singapore, lecturing a postgraduate module in RF System Design from 1999 to 2015.
As past Region 10 Treasurer, he has intimate knowledge of its functions and organizational structure, and contributed significantly in overseeing its financial management. In addition, his responsibility as the 2018 Region 10 Membership Development Chair has helped to promote both professional and student membership growth and encourage all members to seek the highest membership grade for which they qualify. He supported the Sections to organize local events to attract new student members, and outreach to industry to attract new members.
He has also established strong governance in conference organization with important roles as General and Finance Chairs. He has demonstrated strong leadership for both the Section and Chapter, charting the direction to expand members’ benefits and catering to their needs. As Singapore Section Chair, he encouraged students, YPs and WIEs to take up responsibilities and empowered them to run their activities. He has also organized a number of industry networking events for the local members, connect well with them and have a very good understanding of member’s needs.
Region 10 is the fastest growing region in IEEE with more than 150,000 members. By virtue of its location, R10 has a diverse and vibrant community to fuel its further growth.
I will lead in the Region realignment, working with the stakeholders to implement a well-defined procedure and process for a united and inclusive new R10. This is a daunting and delicate task as one has to manage the expectations from Sections with different backgrounds and diverse cultures. I will listen to their concerns and feedback to try my best to allay their anxieties in this transition. With conviction, R10 will work together with the Sections to weather the uncertainties and thrive in future opportunities - a cohesive Region 10 standing up to the challenges in our region in furthering cooperation in technology research.
I am willing to devote my time to serve and lead R10 with dedication and commitment. If given the chance, I will work ardently in these areas:
· Sustaining the Sections and supporting the local technical communities.
· Promoting membership growth and relevance to existing and new members by promoting industry events to enable them to grow in their profession and careers.
· Serving members’ needs, and adapting our benefits and services to address changing member demographics .
· Empowering and engaging students/YPs/WIEs in synergizing programs, grooming them to be future IEEE leaders.
IEEE Accomplishments and Activities
· IEEE Technical Program Integrity Committee (Member, 2022 - now)
· IEEE Conference Application Review Committee (Member, 2021 - now)
· MGA Membership Recruitment & Recovery Committee (Region Member Development Coordinator, 2015-2017, 2020)
· MGA Member Benefits Portfolio Advisory Committee (Member, 2014 - 2015)
· Sections Congress 2023 (Coordinator, 2022 - present)
· Conference Quality & Management Committee (Chair, 2022 - present)
· Conference & Technical Seminar Committee (Chair, 2019 - 2022)
· Member Development Committee (Chair, 2015 - 2018)
· Individual Benefits & Services Committee (Coordinator, 2013 - 2014)
· Treasurer (2011 - 2012)
· Singapore Section (Chair, 2019-2020; Awards & Recognition Committee Chair, 2021-present; Vice-Chair, 2017-2018; Treasurer, 2015-2016)
- Started the IEEE Industry Night in 2020 with the Institute of Engineers Singapore in conjunction with the IEEE Day celebrations, with speakers from the industry and academia in this networking event for members and non-members
· Singapore MTT & AP Joint Chapter (Chair, 2010-2011; Vice-Chair, 2009; Treasurer, 2008) - Started the MTT & AP joint Chapter Best Student Paper Awards in 2010
General Chair, General Co-Chair:
· IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology 2012 (General Chair cum Finance Chair)
· Asia Pacific Microwave Conference 2019 (General Co-Chair)
· IEEE Region 10 Conference 2016 (TENCON) (General Co-Chair)
· IEEE GLOBECOM 2017
· IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Advanced Materials and Processes for RF and THz Applications 2015
· IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications 2013
· IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics jointly held with Asia Pacific Microwave Photonics Conference 2011
· IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems 2006 & 2010
· Asia Pacific Microwave Conference 2009
· IEEE International Conference on Ultra-Wideband 2007
· IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology 2005
Technical Program Chair:
· Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation 2012
Please visit this link for my interview with the Region 10 Newsletter:
1. Empowering and engaging students/YPs/WIEs in synergizing programs, grooming them to be future IEEE leaders.
2. Sustaining the Sections and supporting the local technical communities with collaborations between the industry and academia.
3. To work closely with the stakeholders to implement a well-defined process for an inclusive R10.
The opinions expressed herein are the opinions of the author and not necessarily the opinions of IEEE.